Students in the Consulting Practicum interact with businesses or non-profit organizations seeking creative solutions to challenges they face. This practicum offers experiential learning on all project phases from investigation and analysis, through presentation of recommendations designed to meet real-world needs.
- Students receive faculty guidance to undertake an experiential learning project.
- Students collaborate with diverse organizations to investigate projects as consultants.
- Students analyze a business problem or other issue that an organization faces, with the expectation of improving their critical thinking skills.
Eligibility & Application Process
- Must have a declared major within the School of Social Sciences, and have completed nine credit hours in the declared major. If a student has not yet declared a major in Social Sciences, they may apply to the Gateway Program before doing so, however, final approval is not possible until the relevant major is officially declared.
- International students must receive approval for On-Campus Work at an Off-Campus Site from OISS.
- Applications for the Fall 2021 semester open in MARCH.
- Fall applications are due March 22nd.
- Spring applications are due October 15th.
- Students must complete all post-admission application items that will be provided after approval for the program.
- Students will complete a pre-program orientation session provided by the School of Social Sciences.
- Students must agree to enroll in SOSC 444- Consulting Practicum.
- During the first weeks of class, students will have an opportunity to review the projects and preference those that peak their interest. Most projects will be assigned 2-3 students.
- Students will meet with project hosts throughout the semester to collect information and provide feedback on their progress.
- Project findings and feedback will be presented during the final week of class.
- Baylor College of Medicine
- Greater Houston Partnership
- The Pangea Network
- West Houston Association
- 3B Public Relations
- Chimera, Inc.
- Coach Cam Courses
- Community Health Choice
- Define Body & Mind
- East Harris County Manufacturer's Association
- Hakaya Productions
- Harris County Public Health
- High School for the Performing and Visual Arts
- Houston Museum District Association
- Houston Urban Debate League
- Houston West Chamber of Commerce
- Houston Zoo
- Misty Blue Media
- Mental Health America
- New Hope Housing
- SouthEast Texas Regional Advisory Council
- Spectrum Fusion
- Texas Homes REI
- Turkish Airlines
- World Affairs Council of Greater Houston