The Gateway Practica travel stipend is a one-time benefit available to students with a declared major in the School of Social Sciences that are participating in one of the Gateway Practica, and need assistance funding their transportation to and from the host location. Support is for students enrolled in SOSC 405- Law Practicum, PLST 406- Judicial Practicum, SOSC 444- Consulting Practicum, or SOSC 445 - Finance & Banking Practicum.
Students who receive the travel stipend are responsible for budgeting their time and funding for the entirety of the semester.
- Location Requirement: Practicum sites that are within walking distance of the Houston MetroRail, the Rice Bus, or the UTHealth Bus are NOT eligible
- Must have a declared major in the School of Social Sciences and be enrolled in SOSC 405, PLST 406, SOSC 444, or SOSC 445
Stipend Support Levels
Support levels are based on distance from Rice University to the practicum site.
- 1 to 5 miles = $100 stipend
- 5 to 10 miles = $150 stipend
- 10 to 20 miles = $200 stipend
- 20+ miles = $250 stipend
Travel Stipend Application Process
- Click here to submit your travel stipend request.
- Fall requests are due by September 15th
- Spring requests are due by February 1st
Collecting the Stipend
All stipends will be paid by direct deposit or by check and sent to students in campus mail.