Graduate Student Conference Travel Grants of up to $350 are available to graduate students in the Social Sciences at Rice who are presenting a paper or a poster as a first author at a conference. Proposals are due on October 1st and February 1st annually. If either date falls on a weekend or a holiday, the deadline is the next business day. In order to be eligible for an award from the SSRI, a student must have received a commitment from his or her department to provide at least partial conference travel funding as well. A letter from the department, either from the student's advisor, the department chair, or the departmental administrator, that certifies the commitment and the amount of funding to be provided must be included in the application. Each student may receive this award a maximum of two times during his or her graduate career at Rice.
Please submit the following documents to the Social Science Research Institute Office (Baker Hall 180-I) or to Chris Rodriguez (firstname.lastname@example.org; 713-348-2985). Questions related to the preparation of the application packet should also be directed to Chris. Please note that all application materials should be prepared using a minimum of 11-point Arial or Times New Roman and one-inch margins.
1. A cover sheet (click here for cover sheet); an electronic signature is acceptable if the application is being submitted via email
2. A narrative (single-spaced, two pages maximum) describing the conference to be attended (name, location, duration, etc.) and a summary of the research being presented, including the overall conclusions. Please make clear in the narrative how the research represents a departure from the current literature and the significance of the research to the investigator's discipline.
3. List of References/Bibliography (if applicable)
4. A budget justification describing costs identified on the cover sheet
5. A letter from the department certifying the commitment of travel funds and the amount that will be provided
Students who receive an award must utilize the funds before the end of the calendar year in which they are awarded. Any funds remaining on December 31st of the award year will be recovered by the SSRI. If this timeline presents a problem, please contact Chris so that the issue can be resolved.