- SSRI Pre-Dissertation Research Grant - Due: Sunday, April 2, 2023; 11:45 p.m., CST
- SSRI Dissertation Research Improvement Grant - Due: Sunday, April 2, 2023; 11:45 p.m., CST
- SSRI Seed Grant - Due: Sunday, April 2, 2023; 11:45 p.m., CST
- SSRI Graduate Student Conference Travel Grants - Due: Continuous Submission
- SoSS Proposal Mentoring Grants - Due: Continuous Submission
- SoSS Open Access (OA) Publication Grants - Due: Continuous Submission
- SoSS Book Manuscript Workshop Grants - Due: Continuous Submission
- SoSS Faculty Research Training Grants - Due: Continuous Submission
- National Institutes of Health (NIH) Newsletter & Feeds
- National Science Foundation (NSF) News
- The Institutional Review Board (IRB) Discussion and News Forum
- Grants.gov New Funding Opportunities
- Foundation Center: Philanthropy News Digest RFP Bulletin
- Health Research Incorporated Research Administration Listserv
- Consortium of Social Science Associations (COSSA)
- Rice University Limited Submissions Feed
- Rice University Research Administrators Forum
- Rice University Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies
- Rice University Office of Corporate & Foundation Relations (OCFR) - send an email request to firstname.lastname@example.org to join their newsletter.
Recommended Resources for Rice Faculty
- Quick Guide for Research Faculty - You will find included in this guide some tips and resources useful to researchers at Rice University.
- Recordings of Research and Funding Events - Access all recordings from research and funding events sponsored by the School of Social Sciences Dean’s Office here. Please note: faculty must log in with a Rice netid in order to access the folder.
- Rice University Fondren Library Research Data Services - The Research Data Services team assists Rice researchers (including faculty, research staff, and students) with all phases of the research data life-cycle, including acquiring, cleaning, organizing, processing, analyzing, visualizing, preserving, and sharing data.
Internal Research Funding
Social Sciences Research Institute
- Faculty Seed Money Grants
- Faculty Collaborative Grant
- Faculty Research Training Grants
- Book Manuscript Workshop Grants
- Open Access (OA) Publication Grants
- Proposal Mentoring Grants
- Dissertation Research Improvement Grants
- Pre-Dissertation Research Grants
- Graduate Student Conference Travel Grants
- SSRI Faculty Advisory Committee
- Creative Ventures
- Graduate Students & Postdocs at Rice University: Fellowships/Grants
- Rice Office of Corporate & Foundation Relations List of RFPs
- Rice University Limited Submission Opportunities
External Funding Opportunities (links to major funding agencies)
- National Science Foundation
- National Institutes of Health
- NASA (NSPIRES)
- Institute of Education Sciences
- National Endowment for the Humanities
- Philanthropy News Digest
- Spencer Foundation
- Russell Sage Foundation
- Arnold Ventures
- Consortium of Social Science Associations (COSSA)
- Social Science Research Council (SSRC)
Research and Fellowship Funding Opportunities Databases for Faculty, Postdocs, and Graduate Students
- PIVOT-RP - is a global database of open research funding opportunities, and is now available to the Rice community. To create an account and start using Pivot, visit PIVOT.PROQUEST.COM and click "Use login from my institution," then select Rice University and follow the prompts to match with one of the pre-loaded profiles or create a new one. Once you create a profile, you can track and share funding opportunities, save searches, get automatic alerts, view groups, and more. If you have questions about Pivot-RP, please contact Ted Walker, associate director of foundation relations, at email@example.com.
- SEARCH GRADUATE AND POSTDOCTORAL FELLOWSHIP OPPORTUNITIES - is intended to inform about funding sources and opportunities that are available generally. Please review the sponsor's website and/or recent solicitation to confirm the deadline and to identify the newest eligibilities, requirements, and funding details.
- LIST OF MAJOR GRADUATE AND POSTDOCTORAL FELLOWSHIPS WITH HYPERLINKS - The majority of these fellowships are designed for those studying in a particular discipline, although some are open to students across disciplines.
- FELLOWSHIPS, GRANTS, AND INTERNSHIPS - This list has hyperlinks and is maintained by Fondren Library.
Writing/Dissertation Completion Fellowships
- American Association for University Women (AAUW)
- Mellon/American Council of Learned Societies (ACLS) Dissertation Completion Fellowships
- Ford Foundation Dissertation Fellowship
- Charlotte Newcombe Doctoral Dissertation Fellowship (administered by Woodrow Wilson)
- Josephine de Karman Fellowship Trust
- Social Science Research Council International Dissertation Research Fellowship
- American Educational Research Association (AERA) Minority Dissertation Fellowship in Education Research
- American Educational Research Association (AERA) Dissertation Grant
- Harry Frank Guggenheim Foundation Emerging Scholars
- United States Institute of Peace Jennings Randolph Peace Scholarship Dissertation Program
- National Academy of Education / Spencer Dissertation Fellowship
- National Science Foundation (NSF) Graduate Research Fellowship Program (GRFP)
- Ford Foundation Predoctoral Fellowship Program
- Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Health Policy Research Scholars
- Dolores Zohrab Liebmann Fund
- Soros Fellowships for New Americans
- ASA Minority Fellowship Program
- NIH Ruth L. Kirschstein National Research Service Award (NRSA) Individual Predoctoral Fellowship (Parent F31)
- NIH Ruth L. Kirschstein NRSA Individual Predoctoral Fellowship to Promote Diversity in Health-Related Research (Parent F31- Diversity)
- NIH AHRQ Grants for Health Services Research Dissertation Program (R36)
- NIH Mental Health Research Dissertation Grant to Enhance Workforce Diversity (R36)
- NIH Aging Research Dissertation Awards to Increase Diversity (R36)
Sources for Research Expenses
- Horowitz Foundation for Social Policy Grants and Special Awards
- ASA Doctoral Dissertation Research Improvement Awards (administer NSF Sociology program)
- National Institute of Justice Graduate Research Fellowship
- Kauffman Dissertation Fellowship
- ASA Student Forum Travel Awards
- Association for the Sociology of Religion Ralph A. Gallagher Travel Grants
- Association for the Sociology of Religion Joseph H. Fichter Research Grant Competition
- Society for the Scientific Study of Religion Student Research Grants
- Russell Sage Dissertation Research Grants
- Religious Research Association Jacquet Research Award
Rice University Offices
- Rice Office of Corporate and Foundation Relations
- Rice Office of Research
- Rice Office Sponsored Projects and Research Compliance (SPARC)
- Rice Office of Proposal Development
- Rice University Fondren Library Research Data Services
School of Social Sciences Pre-Award Services
Primary Contact: Director of Research Administration, Chris Rodriguez, 713-348-2985, firstname.lastname@example.org
Internal Achievement Awards
SoSS Dean’s Distinguished Research Awards: The aim of the SoSS Dean’s Distinguished Research Awards is to recognize excellence in faculty research. Two awards will be given each year, one for junior faculty and one for senior faculty. Nominations will be evaluated on the extent to which the candidate’s work has been (or has the potential to be) transformative in their field, and the extent to which the applicant’s work has garnered national and international recognition. Nominations must come from department chairs; each chair may nominate one person for each award.
Charles W. Duncan Achievement Award for Outstanding Faculty:
The Duncan Award was established in 1998 in honor of Charles Duncan, former Chairman of the Rice Board of Trustees, and is presented each year to a full-time, tenured, or tenure-track faculty member in recognition of outstanding performance in the areas of both teaching and scholarship.
Eligibility information, selection criteria, process, and timeline are listed below.
Eligibility: Must be a full-time Rice tenured/tenure-track faculty member with ten or fewer years of experience from appointment as an assistant professor at Rice and have his/her primary academic appointment in one of the following schools: Architecture, Engineering, Humanities, Music, Natural Sciences, Social Sciences.
Criteria for award: Candidates must have demonstrated outstanding performance in both scholarship and teaching.
Award: $5,000 cash award and engraved medal
Rice University Faculty Award for Excellence in University Service and Leadership: This award is bestowed annually on a faculty member who has made significant and distinctive contributions to the mission of Rice University through exceptional university service and leadership. The winner will receive $3,000 and a framed certificate signed by the President and Provost.*
Rice University Faculty Award for Excellence in Professional Service and Leadership: This award is bestowed annually on a faculty member who has made significant contributions to the academic profession or the wider community (local, national, or international) through professional service and leadership. The winner will receive $3,000 and a framed certificate signed by the President and Provost.*
Rice University Faculty Award for Excellence in Research, Teaching, and Service: This award is bestowed periodically on a faculty member who fulfills the Rice academic ideal by exhibiting exemplary achievement in all aspects of faculty responsibilities: research, teaching, and service. The winner will receive $6,000 and a framed certificate signed by the President and Provost.*
Marjorie Corcoran Award: This award is given annually to a Rice faculty member who has made major contributions to the advancement of women or underrepresented minorities in STEM fields, either in support of students at Rice or through local, state, or national programs, with a particular commitment to engaged mentoring. The winner will receive $2,500 and a framed certificate signed by the President and Provost.*
*Nomination process: Any Rice faculty or staff member may nominate a faculty member for any of the four awards above. Faculty Senate sends a call for nominations each Spring.
Media and Communications
Primary Contact: Senior Media Relations Specialist, Amy McCaig, 713 348 6777, email@example.com
Rice Office of Public Affairs