- Gardner Award for Best Dissertation within the Social Sciences - Due: Sunday, April 24, 2022, 11:45 p.m., CST
- SSRI Graduate Student Conference Travel Grants - Due: Continuous Submission
- SoSS Proposal Mentoring Grants - Due: Continuous Submission
- SoSS Open Access (OA) Publication Grants - Due: Continuous Submission
- SoSS Book Manuscript Workshop Grants - Due: Continuous Submission
- National Institutes of Health (NIH) Newsletter & Feeds
- National Science Foundation (NSF) News
- The Institutional Review Board (IRB) Discussion and News Forum
- Grants.gov New Funding Opportunities
- Foundation Center: Philanthropy News Digest RFP Bulletin
- Health Research Incorporated Research Administration Listserv
- Consortium of Social Science Associations (COSSA)
- Rice University Limited Submissions Feed
- Rice University Research Administrators Forum
- Rice University Office of Corporate & Foundation Relations (OCFR) - send an email request to email@example.com to join their newsletter.
Recommended Resources for Rice Faculty
- Quick Guide for Research Faculty - You will find included in this guide some tips and resources useful to researchers at Rice University.
- Recordings of Research and Funding Events - Access all recordings from research and funding events sponsored by the School of Social Sciences Dean’s Office here. Please note: faculty must log in with a Rice netid in order to access the folder.
Internal Research Funding
Social Sciences Research Institute
- Faculty Seed Money Grants
- Faculty Collaborative Grant
- Book Manuscript Workshop Grants
- Open Access (OA) Publication Grants
- Proposal Mentoring Grants
- Dissertation Research Improvement Grants
- Pre-Dissertation Research Grants
- Graduate Student Conference Travel Grants
- SSRI Faculty Advisory Committee
- Creative Ventures
- Graduate Students & Postdocs at Rice University: Fellowships/Grants
- Rice Office of Corporate & Foundation Relations List of RFPs
- Rice University Limited Submission Opportunities
External Funding Opportunities (links to major funding agencies)
- National Science Foundation
- National Institutes of Health
- NASA (NSPIRES)
- Institute of Education Sciences
- National Endowment for the Humanities
- Philanthropy News Digest
- Spencer Foundation
- Russell Sage Foundation
- Arnold Ventures
- Consortium of Social Science Associations (COSSA)
- Social Science Research Council (SSRC)
Research and Fellowship Funding Opportunities Database
- Pivot-RP -is a global database of open research funding opportunities, and is now available to the Rice community. To create an account and start using Pivot, visit pivot.proquest.com and click "Use login from my institution," then select Rice University and follow the prompts to match with one of the pre-loaded profiles or create a new one. Once you create a profile, you can track and share funding opportunities, save searches, get automatic alerts, view groups, and more. If you have questions about Pivot-RP, please contact Ted Walker, associate director of foundation relations, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Graduate and Postdoctoral Fellowship Opportunities - is intended to generally inform about funding sources and opportunities that are available. Please review the sponsor's website and/or recent solicitation to confirm the deadline and to identify the newest eligibilities, requirements, and funding details.
Rice University Offices
- Rice Office of Corporate and Foundation Relations
- Rice Office of Research
- Rice Office Sponsored Projects and Research Compliance (SPARC)
- Rice Office of Proposal Development
School of Social Sciences Pre-Award Contacts/Assignment
- Chris Rodriguez, Research Grants & SSRI Manager, Dean's Office - email@example.com | 713-348-2985
- Anthropology Department
- Economics Department
- Linguistics Department
- Political Science Department
- Psychological Sciences Department
- Sport Management Department
- Texas Policy Lab
- Social Sciences Research Institute
- Heather Willrich, Grant Writer, Department of Sociology - firstname.lastname@example.org | 713-348-4308
- Sociology Department
- Religion and Public Life Program
- Houston Education Research Consortium
Internal Achievement Awards
SoSS Dean’s Distinguished Research Awards: The aim of the SoSS Dean’s Distinguished Research Awards is to recognize excellence in faculty research. Two awards will be given each year, one for junior faculty and one for senior faculty. Nominations will be evaluated on the extent to which the candidate’s work has been (or has the potential to be) transformative in their field, and the extent to which the applicant’s work has garnered national and international recognition. Nominations must come from department chairs; each chair may nominate one person for each award.
Charles W. Duncan Achievement Award for Outstanding Faculty:
The Duncan Award was established in 1998 in honor of Charles Duncan, former Chairman of the Rice Board of Trustees, and is presented each year to a full-time, tenured, or tenure-track faculty member in recognition of outstanding performance in the areas of both teaching and scholarship.
Eligibility information, selection criteria, process, and timeline are listed below.
Eligibility: Must be a full-time Rice tenured/tenure-track faculty member with ten or fewer years of experience from appointment as an assistant professor at Rice and have his/her primary academic appointment in one of the following schools: Architecture, Engineering, Humanities, Music, Natural Sciences, Social Sciences.
Criteria for award: Candidates must have demonstrated outstanding performance in both scholarship and teaching.
Award: $5,000 cash award and engraved medal
Rice University Faculty Award for Excellence in University Service and Leadership: This award is bestowed annually on a faculty member who has made significant and distinctive contributions to the mission of Rice University through exceptional university service and leadership. The winner will receive $3,000 and a framed certificate signed by the President and Provost.*
Rice University Faculty Award for Excellence in Professional Service and Leadership: This award is bestowed annually on a faculty member who has made significant contributions to the academic profession or the wider community (local, national, or international) through professional service and leadership. The winner will receive $3,000 and a framed certificate signed by the President and Provost.*
Rice University Faculty Award for Excellence in Research, Teaching, and Service: This award is bestowed periodically on a faculty member who fulfills the Rice academic ideal by exhibiting exemplary achievement in all aspects of faculty responsibilities: research, teaching, and service. The winner will receive $6,000 and a framed certificate signed by the President and Provost.*
Marjorie Corcoran Award: This award is given annually to a Rice faculty member who has made major contributions to the advancement of women or underrepresented minorities in STEM fields, either in support of students at Rice or through local, state, or national programs, with a particular commitment to engaged mentoring. The winner will receive $2,500 and a framed certificate signed by the President and Provost.*
*Nomination process: Any Rice faculty or staff member may nominate a faculty member for any of the four awards above. Faculty Senate sends a call for nominations each Spring.
Media and Communications
Primary Contact: Senior Media Relations Specialist, Amy McCaig, 713 348 6777 email@example.com
Rice Office of Public Affairs